[ Thread ]

When posting or replying to the forum please abide by

All posts, replies and votes are locked after 90 days. Please fully partisipate in the forum by creating a new tpoic, replying and voting on posts.

caribcapt
Stiletto 27 SE

BEST COCKPIT CUSHION INSTALLATION METHOD?

Hello everyone, I found a great company in Texas (C Cushion) to make the cockpit cushions for both sides for $770 dollars. The only missing piece to the puzzle is whether to utilize snaps or a bolt rope to secure the cushions in place when the boat is under way. Any suggestions from experience on this? I prefer the bolt rope and my idea is to install the feeder track on the front edge of the cockpit seat area to try to eliminate the sheet lines from getting stuck underneath and lifting the cushions up during sailing maneuvers. Any thoughts or advice would greatly be appreciated. Cheers! - Capt. Eric
Replied: eugene1
standard stiletto 27
Reply: I had my cushions made in two sections for each side. On the back of each cushion I had 3 loops sewed in. I have small u shaped bracket on each end of the fiberglass cockpit. I use a small snap shackle to attach to each bracket. I run a single piece of shock cord through the total of the six loops and attach on each end. This allows the cushions to be easily attached and secured during sailing.
cell phone is 412 601 4232 call for any more details.
God BLess, Gene
Replied: eugene1
standard stiletto 27
Reply: I had my cushions made in two sections for each side. On the back of each cushion I had 3 loops sewed in. I have small u shaped bracket on each end of the fiberglass cockpit. I use a small snap shackle to attach to each bracket. I run a single piece of shock cord through the total of the six loops and attach on each end. This allows the cushions to be easily attached and secured during sailing.
cell phone is 412 601 4232 call for any more details.
God BLess, Gene
Replied: thouse
Stiletto 27 Std. Editon
Replying to Eugene Scarberry comments:

Gene, I did much the same thing. However, my modificaton included ensuring that the foam on the inside of the cushion was closed cell foam. That helpd avoid water absorsion and if the boat goes over or in a MOB situation, the cushion(s) make for somethng floatable to hang on to or throw.

The other modificaiton I made was to cut the top 12-14 inches off a couple of old solid closed cell floating pool mattresses. They each have a section that is rolled over to double the thickness for the last six inches or so on the mattresses' top.

I like using these to add a bit more "comfy cushioning" to my backside when long distance sailing. The rolled section placed towards the boat's centerline help keep me in place when the boat is heeling.

Wow, now all I need is a bit of sun to warm up these cold Utah temperatures and to thaw out the boat for some more fun in the sun or another tirp to the warm Sea of Cortez.

It is summer yet???

Merry Chirstmas, happy holidays, and my best to all those who help make and keep this site running and a great plce to visit.

We all have much to be thankful for, including the things that are hard and can help to make us stronger and wiser, and the friends who help us through such times.

Tom
Replied: thouse
Stiletto 27 Std. Editon
Replying to Eugene Scarberry comments:

Gene, I did much the same thing. However, my modificaton included ensuring that the foam on the inside of the cushion was closed cell foam. That helpd avoid water absorsion and if the boat goes over or in a MOB situation, the cushion(s) make for somethng floatable to hang on to or throw.

The other modificaiton I made was to cut the top 12-14 inches off a couple of old solid closed cell floating pool mattresses. They each have a section that is rolled over to double the thickness for the last six inches or so on the mattresses' top.

I like using these to add a bit more "comfy cushioning" to my backside when long distance sailing. The rolled section placed towards the boat's centerline help keep me in place when the boat is heeling.

Wow, now all I need is a bit of sun to warm up these cold Utah temperatures and to thaw out the boat for some more fun in the sun or another tirp to the warm Sea of Cortez.

It is summer yet???

Merry Chirstmas, happy holidays, and my best to all those who help make and keep this site running and a great plce to visit.

We all have much to be thankful for, including the things that are hard and can help to make us stronger and wiser, and the friends who help us through such times.

Tom
Replied: Peter
Modified Stiletto 27
Replying to Tom House comments: Tom - C-Cushions are some sort of closed cell foam that they somehow heat seal the surface of. They're pretty cool - you might want to check them out. It's a family business run by really nice people. The son of the founders was an early Stiletto sailor. I remember that the early cushions were slippery when wet, but they've probably dealt with that by now.

I agree that loops are better than snaps. Snaps are destined to fail in a salt marine environment.